Thursday, October 25, 2012

7 Quick Takes

--- 1 ---
Unenthused about Halloween.  Trick-or-Treating always freaked me out.  Growing up, I was always reminded that strangers might stick poison in the candy (so make sure its unopened candy), some neighbors could be child predators, etc.  I don't even remember trick-or-treating in the neighborhood - I think I went to a church party once and went to the mall once.  Paranoia, much? - well.. it WAS the years surrounding the Chicago Tylenol murders..people finding white powder in their soda cans..  Ugh.  We actually don't even hand out candy in our house because we don't want to open the door for weirdos.
--- 2 ---
I've started to read a book.  How many times have I said that this year?  Looking into home-schooling - it looks like I'll have to be familiar with some of the books on the booklists.  I'm reading Pride & Prejudice right now.  I'm far enough removed from watching the 1995 BBC series for a few years that reading it won;t be just replaying the series in my head.
--- 3 ---
Ashamed?  Ummm..  I have to look up words in the dictionary a few times for every page in Pride & Prejudice.  Examples:  chaise, indolent, piquet, celerity, expostulation, precipitance, just to name a few. (And I've already forgotten half the meanings) :(
--- 4 ---
Best movie villain ever - has got to be Loki of Thor/Avengers.  He reminds me of Emperor Commodus from Gladiator - gots father issues, insecure, cunning.. except he's got weird magical powers.  Makes for great campy movie fun.  The movies have got great witty lines too.  I wasn't familiar with the Avengers before, but I like their film portrayals.
--- 5 ---
Home-made potato chips FAIL - I have a habit of not buying junk food at the grocery store - I'm not sure when I started that but it certainly has limited the amount of junk that I consume. (if it aint in the house, I ain't gonna eat it, and too lazy to make it).  Tonight though, I took the plunge and tried to make potato chips.  It was really easy slicing them but I didn't want to fry them and make a mess.  Its kind of ridiculous how many pans I'd have to use to place a single-layer of chips - so I also microwaved some on a plate.  Microwaving produced the best crispy taste (like Munchos) but it sticks to the plate :(.   Baking made for some uneven cooking and soggy chips.. Perhaps I'm not using my mandolin correctly - for some reason my chips were all half-burnt, half-soggy.
--- 6 ---
DIY Cardboard Box Toys - these are hard to make without a good blade.  so far I've made a toy stove/sink area and a box-car.  The kid thought the box-car was kind of crappy... pulled off the steering wheel and then pulled off all the wheels (which were all styrofoam plates).   Thinking of making a puppet theater next.  Yay for Pinterest!
--- 7 ---
Cry-it-Out - not sure how people do it; I was going through some old magazines and there was a whole section on infant sleep.  One of the methods with "strong evidence" was cry-it-out.  Just can't do it.  Can't think of leaving an infant for 12 hours to cry and to check on them only in the morning.  That's so sad.  Even if there is no evidence that it harms the child psychologically, doesn't it make the parent feel somewhat guilty?  Not for us! Not that I have any better solutions...  as nobody is sleeping through the night still :-/.  But...we...are...close...  5 hours is good 'nuff.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

4 comments:

  1. Your reading habits sound like mine, except I don't look up the words I don't know, I just skip them. Good luck with the reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I got caught in the car today without internet or a dictionary, and it bothered me. I should keep reading :)

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on the 'No Cry-it-Out.' Cannot do it...don't want to it. If I were crying, I would want some one to love me and comfort me. Period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I would feel somewhat abandonned if I were left to cry myself to sleep for hours in my own vomit :(

      Delete